Tuesday, March 4, 2008

R.I.P. Benecio del Ratto

My bubba, Benecio del Ratto, passed away tonight. This is my 5th rat that has died (they have short life spans) and, I swear, it never gets any easier.

He was really, really, really special to me. Benecio was such a lovable, crazy boy. He LOVED to eat like no other rat I've ever seen. From the very beginning he established himself as the "alpha male" of the pack. He had a shining, exuberant personality. I know this may seem a bit extreme to be saying about "a rat", but you obviously never met Benecio.

My favorite memory of Bebe is "the cheese blintz incident". Last summer I made this cheese blintz that I didnt really care for, so I put it on a plate for my rats to eat. Silly me, I didn't cut the blintz up, thinking that my ratties would be gentlemen and eat the blintz like respectable rodents. Well, Mr. Benecio del Ratto grabbed one end of the blintz and started running with it- fast! Mind you, the blintz was bigger than he was! I started to chase after him but he out ran me and went into my closet behind some boxes. I swear, it was like a slow motion scene in a movie. Me: "Noooooooo! Benecioooooo! Come baaaaack!" I never did find that blintz!

Bebe, I will miss your little rat feet and your whiskers the most. I hope I made your little ratty life as happy as possible, I tried. And if there is a heaven, I hope you are up there eating from an all-you-can-eat buffet filled with avocado's and yogurt drops. I love you, bub- my sweet boy!




No comments: